A Toronto neighbourhood with a rich history is Armour Heights. Earl Bales Park, The Son River Valley, and the Don Valley Golf Course form a natural boundary along the east and north ends of this community. One of Toronto’s major commuter highways, Highway 401 can be found winding its way quietly through the centre of this neighbourhood.
This community is well known throughout Toronto for boasting an excellent selection of children’s programs. Also located in the Armour Heights neighbourhood is the Armour Heights School, which is regarded as one of the best public schools in Toronto. Thus this neighbourhood is ideal for families looking to raise children in an area rich in resources.
Armour Heights is located with Wilson Avenue to the south, Bathurst Street to the west, Yonge Street to the east and Earl Bales Park and the Metropolitan Don Valley Golf Course to the north.
In the 1830's, Armour Heights was settled by John Armour, after whom this neighbourhood is named. The Armour homestead was situated where the Armour Heights Community Centre sits today.
In 1911 the Armour family sold their farm to Colonel F.B. Robins. Robins who planned the Armour Heights neighbourhood envisioned a high-class neighbourhood with its bridle path and polo field. The bridle path has become what is known today as Yonge Boulevard however the polo field was never built.
In 1914 when the first World War broke out, Colonel Robins opted to donate land in Armour Heights to the air force thus putting the building of his envisioned subdivision on hold. The air force used the land as a training school for Canadian and American pilots. During this time, American pilot Amelia Earhardt was a regular visitor to the airfield. She was stationed in Toronto during the latter part of the war as a nurses aid with the Canadian Red Cross.
In 1929 the Armour Heights subdivision began to gather steam when Robins and fellow developer W.P. Mulock sold all their interest in Armour Heights to R. J. Lillico & Associates. This transaction was noted in local papers at the time as one of the largest sales in real estate ever in Toronto.
The new owners attempted to change the name of this subdivision from Armour Heights to Beverley Hills however the original name for the community stood the test of time and has remained unchanged.
Showing 8 properties out of 9 currently available on the market.