Bathurst Manor/Clanton Park
A peaceful neighbourhood located in the north-central part of Toronto is Bathurst Manor - Clanton Park. The residents of this community are predominantly Jewish. Reflecting the religion and way of life expressed by many residents, numerous Jewish learning centres and cultural centres, as well as Synagogues can be found throughout Bathurst Manor - Clanton Park. However, there are also many families of Italian heritage who also reside in this neighbourhood. Their children attend St. Robert Separate School located on Sheppard Avenue. Other social services in this community include two hospitals, six local parks, a community centre, local bus service, two green belts, and convenient access to Toronto’s commuter highways.
Bathurst Manor - Clanton Park is located with Finch Avenue to the north, Bathurst Street to the east, Wilson Avenue to the south and Allen Road to the west.
This neighbourhood was originally know as Dublin Heights. In the early 1800’s it was a rural farming area, which was named after Dublin Farm located near Dufferin Street and Sheppard Avenue. William Duncan immigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1827. Duncan paid $3.50 per acre for his 200 acre farm. He had a strong hand in the growth and development of this community. Duncan personally oversaw the building of the first school, Dublin Heights as well as hiring the first schoolmaster. This highly respected member of Dublin Heights also served as Justice of the Peace for the Township of York.
In 1854, the Watson family who also immigrated to Canada from Ireland opened “Carronbrook”. It was the first post office and general store. In 1878 the name “Carronbrook” was changed to “Dublin” to recognize William Duncan and his community landmark the "Dublin" farm.
When the present day neighbourhood of Bathurst Manor - Clanton Park was being developed in 1955, the Dublin post office and general store was closed. The Dublin Schoolhouse circa 1872 is the only remaining historical artefact from the community of Dublin. The cornerstone can be found on Bainbridge Avenue, mounted on the main entrance wall of the present day Dublin Heights School.