Toronto's infamous Chinatown district is located in the Grange Park neighbourhood. Street signs, telephone booths, and even the local police station in this neighbourhood display text in both Chinese as well as English. With the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) located at the centre of this neighbourhood, this community plays home to a large number of artists. The Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD) can also be found in Grange Park.
The Grange is bounded with College Street to the north, Spadina Avenue to the west, University Avenue to the east and Queen Street West to the south. Dundas Street also runs through the centre of this neighbourhood.
The Grange Park neighbourhood is named after the Grange House. The Grange House was built in 1817 by D'Arcy Boulton Jr. Boulton was a prominent member of society in Toronto owning to his families status as one of the wealthiest families in Toronto. This area was Toronto's first elite neighbourhood. Now part of the Art Gallery of Ontario, Grange House, and the mansions on Beverley Street, are the sole reminders of this neighbourhood's early rise to prominence. Grange Park's upper class families headed for the newer and trendier suburbs in the Annex, Rosedale and Parkdale in the late 1800's. By the early 1900's, Grange Park saw much change as the large estates had been transformed into rows of modest workers' houses that became home to many new Canadians. Jewish immigrants were followed by Eastern Europeans and the Chinese, who migrated to Grange Park after Toronto's first Chinatown at Dundas and Elizabeth Street was razed in the 1960's, to make room for the new City Hall.