The neighborhood of Lawrence Manor is strongly family oriented where the residents are primarily from the Jewish Orthodox community. The eastern boundary of this community is Bathurst Street where Jewish cultural centers, schools, synagogues, retail shops and restaurants can be found. The Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care is a prominent landmark of this community. Here elderly clients can receive both hospital care and nursing home care in the same facility. Baycrest is currently undergoing major renovations to expand the facilities.
Lawrence Manor is bounded with Highway 401 to the north, Bathurst Street to the east, Allen Road to the west and Lawrence Avenue to the south.
Between the early 1800's until the 1940's Lawrence Manor was farmland. It was after the 1940’s when the property was purchased by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), for residential development. Before selling off individual lots to small builders in the 1950’s, the CMHC serviced the entire subdivision. They put in place roads, sewers, and water service. The first Lawrence Manor home buyers were required to qualify for a CMHC mortgage. These mortgages were pricey at the rate of four and a half percent for 25 years.
In 1951 when the first residents moved into this community cows could still be found grazing on the north-west corner of Lawrence Avenue and Bathurst Street. In 1953 Lawrence Plaza was built on the former cow patch site. When it first opened Lawrence Plaza was the largest shopping centre in Toronto. Lawrence Manor was put on the map by the shoppers from all across the city that were attracted to the plaza.
Showing 48 properties out of 51 currently available on the market.