Surrounding the Parkwoods neighbourhood are 5 throughways, Highway 401, Don Valley Parkway, Victoria Park Avenue, Lawrence Avenue and the Canadian Pacific railway. Being home to all of these transportation routes you would think the neighbourhood would be bustling with noise and activity, however this is simply not true. Parkwoods is a quiet and serene middle-income neighbourhood. A sense of tranquility comes from the gently rolling hills and tree lined streets typical to the area.
The neighbourhood of Parkwoods is bounded with the Highway 401 to the north, Victoria Park Avenue to the east, Lawrence Avenue to the south, and Don Valley Parkway to the west.
The neighbourhood of Parkwoods was named after the major throughway Parkwoods Village Drive found in this area. Establishments in this neighbourhood that also share its name are the Parkwoods Village Shopping Centre, and Parkwoods United Church.
In 1833 teenager John Coulson emigrated from England to Canada. After he arrived Coulson built a log house on what is now the corner of Victoria Park and Parkwoods Village Drive. The Coulson cabin remained in the same place until 1956 when development of the Parkwoods neighbourhood began.
In 1832, to the south of Coulson’s cabin was long-term neighbour, Welshman Charles D. Maginn. He was a general merchant in the community. Maginn had a reputation for being skilled at spearing salmon and would fish in the small Deer Lick stream running near his farm.
The Maginn family were generous, and gave back to their community often lending out their grove to the Wesleyan Methodist Church for area meetings. The Wesleyan Methodist Church built a cemetery in 1841 at the south-west corner of Victoria Park Avenue and Lawrence Avenue. Many of the Parkwoods first settlers are buried in this cemetery. It has been declared a heritage property by the City of Toronto.
Showing 43 properties out of 48 currently available on the market.