Highland Creek is a Toronto neighbourhood known for having a small town feel. This feeling can be seen in its main street shopping district positioned along Old Kingston Road. A historic cemetery dating back to the 1800s is also located along the main street. Highland Creek’s pioneer days have been encapsulated in colourful wall murals that are scattered on buildings along the main street. Annually residents of this community celebrate the history of their neighbourhood on Highland Creek Heritage Day. The main event of this celebration is a giant parade that takes place along Old Kingston Road. Floats, marching bands, antique cars, a merchant fair and flea market, home baked goods, crafts, children's rides and a dance at the local legion hall are all highlights of the event.
Highland Creek is bounded with Military Trail to the southwest, Kingston Road to the southeast, and Highway 401 to the north. Dividing the area down the middle is Ellesmere Road.
Highland Creek was the largest business centre and residential area in the former Township of Scarborough in the 1850's. In 1852 Highland Creek was officially recognized as a community. This designation led to the community being granted its own post office. At this time, Highland Creek also had its own Catholic, Presbyterian, and Methodist churches, schools, blacksmith shops, hotels, and a number of general stores. All of this industry catered to weary travellers along Kingston Road. This community remained predominantly farmland until the 1950’s. It was during this time when the present day neighbourhood was developed. Historical landmarks of this community include the third Highland Creek Public School, located on Military Trail, built in 1918, the "W.J. Morrish General Store," on Old Kingston Road, built in 1891, and the "Miller Lash/McLean Estate," located on present day University of Toronto's Scarborough College campus, that was built in 1914.